- 14th Jan 2022
- 234mm x 156mm
Practical Tips for Successful Library Management
Today's library and information service managers need to be multi-skilled practitioners, demonstrating knowledge and understanding of multiple professional disciplines while working in operational and strategic managerial and leadership capacities. Managers need support in order to effectively work in such a diversity of professional environments and roles and this book draws on an international field and all types of library sector to support library managers in their management and leadership vocations.
Practical Tips for Successful Library Management takes management theory and practice and places it within a library and information context so that readers can see how the practical tips provided can be applied in their own roles. You will find flexible tips and implementation advice on topics including:
- Leadership and self awareness
- Organisational awareness
- Project management
- Strategic and business planning
- Staying in touch with sector developments and innovations
- Time management
- Budget and people management
- Team working
- Quality assurance and performance measurement
- Liaison and communication
- Evaluation and responsiveness
- Career planning and work-life balance.
As part of the Practical Tips for Library and Information Professionals series, this book offers innovative tips and tried-and-tested best practice to enable library and information managers to be excellent and effective managers.
Readership: Anyone working as a library and information manager seeking a pragmatic and sensible approach to solving library management problems, and aspiring to be a successful library manager.
1. Leadership and self awareness 2. Organisational awareness 3. Project management 4. Strategic and business planning 5. Staying in touch with sector developments and innovations 6. Time management 7. Budget and people management 8. Team working 9. Quality assurance 10. Liaison and communication 11. Evaluation and responsiveness 12. Career planning and work-life balance
Leo Appleton is the Director of Library Services at Goldsmiths, University of London . He has worked in a number of other universities and FE colleges where he has managed a multitude of services including libraries, IT Support, student administration and e-learning development. Leo editor of the CILIP MmIT Journal and is associate editor of both the New Review of Academic Librarianship and of the UKSG publication eNews.